Red is the color of fire and blood, so it is associated with energy, war, danger, strength, power, determination as well as passion, desire, and love.
- • Light red: represents joy, passion, sensitivity, and love
- • Pink: represents romance, love and friendship. It also denotes feminine qualities of passiveness
- • Dark Red: represents vigor, willpower, rage, anger, leadership, courage, longing, malice and wrath
- • Redish-Brown: associated with harvest and fall
Orange combines the energy of red and the happiness of yellow. It is associated with joy, sunshine, and the tropics. Orange represents enthusiasm, fascination, happiness, creativity, determination, attraction, success, encouragement, and stimulation.
- • Dark Orange: deceit or distrust
- • Red-Oranges: desire, passion, pleasure, aggression, and thirst for action
- • Bright Orange: excitement, joy, fun
Yellow is the color of sunshine. It's associated with joy, happiness, intellect, and energy.
- • Dull yellow: vintage, or caution
- • Light yellow: intellect, freshness, and joy
- • Bright yellow: joy, happiness, energy
Green is the color of nature. It symbolizes growth, harmony, freshness, and fertility. Green has strong emotional correspondence with safety. Dark green is also commonly associated with money.
- • Dark Green: ambition, greed, jealously, outdoors, freshness
- • Yellow-Green: (dull)- Sickness, vintage or retro (bright)- excitement, joy fun
- • Aqua-Green: emotional healing, protection, action, excitement, calming
- • Olive Green: traditional color of peace
IMPORTANT NOTE ABOUT THE COLOR GREEN: Green is the most versatile color on the color wheel. It moves from calming to excitement with great ease. If you are struggling to “blend” colors on a layout, try adding a little green.
Blue is the color of the sky and sea. It is often associated with depth and stability. It symbolizes trust, loyalty, wisdom, confidence, intelligence, faith, truth, and heaven.
- • Light Blue: health, healing, tranquility, understanding and softness
- • Dark Blue: knowledge, power, integrity and seriousness
- • Bright Blue: excitement, fun, energy
Purple combines the stability of blue and the energy of red. Purple is associated with royalty. It symbolizes power, nobility, luxury, and ambition. It conveys wealth and extravagance. Purple is associated with wisdom, dignity, independence, creativity, mystery, and magic.
- • Light Purple: romantic and nostalgic feelings
- • Dark Purple: sad feelings, frustration (can be felt), seriousness, importance, regal, dignity
White is associated with light, goodness, innocence, purity, and virginity. It is considered to be the color of perfection.
Black is associated with power, elegance, formality, death, evil, and mystery.
So that is just one little thought on color. I didn't even go into ways of picking color.. I will do that in another little chat. Today, the next time you are choosing colors for a project, reflect on the story you want to communicate... is it exciting, or somber, is it romantic or silly? When you use color to help tell your story you will find an ease about choosing embellishments and papers! Good luck and let me know how things go for you. ALSO please do pop in over a Club CK and join the color challenge we have for this weeks ISSUE Challenge!
See you there!